"Renowned Taiwanese painter Liu Chi-Hsiang was born in Liuying in 1910. He was one of the few painters in the domestic art scene to have studied in Japan and France. Liu was not only one of the most prominent artists in the history of Tainan City with works that were selected as exhibits in the distinguished Taiwan Fine Art Exhibition during the Japanese Colonial period but was also bestowed with the honor of “senior artist” by the Ministry of Culture. These distinctions and achievements have sealed his place as one of the defining individuals in Taiwan’s history of arts. The former residence of Liu situated along Zhongshan West Road in Liuying District not only attracted numerous visitors but also served as a part of the collective childhood memory as a landmark for the local residents. However, as the building was abandoned without care for years, it suffered from serious deterioration and damages. Liu Geng-Yi, son of the late painter, sought assistance from the municipal government five years ago and in the span of three years, the government contacted and obtained permission from a total of 17 land owners before the Cultural Affairs Bureau petitioned for the budget that is needed for the restoration project. After 2 years of restoration, the building finally received its facelift at the end of 2018 as the Liu Chi Shiang Memorial Hall.
The building in front of the residence was the studio that Liu Chi-Hsiang once used. In conjunction with the inauguration of the memorial hall, the owner of Dongshan Da Chu Hua Jian Coffee Shop and his friends were entrusted with the premise to serve Dongshan coffee and other beverages/desserts prepared with locally produced fresh milk along with other light meals and cuisine."